Stop worrying. Start doing.

Let me tell you how I’ve decided to stop worrying about the fact that I don’t have enough time to finish all the things that I have to do. It was a hot Sunday afternoon in Bucharest and I’ve thought that it would be a better idea to spend it inside Carturesti Carusel  rather than outside.

I’ve found a comfortable chair and I tried to pick a psychology book among all those full shelves. A turquoise cover of a tiny-thin book caught my eyes.”Incepe cu ce nu iti place” or “EAT THE FROG” in English by Brian Tracy made me realized that I have found this book for a reason so I have stopped and smiled. After reading a few pages I’ve discovered some interesting ideas that I want to share with you.

14340070_331096823905893_1604813945_o

First of all, if you start each and every day by eating that biggest ugliest frog everything from now on will be easier for you for that day. What this really means is that if you start everyday by doing the most important task then you are on your way to doing great on time management.

The key idea of the book is do the most important thing first, “eat that frog in the morning”.It is all about one rule, one principle, “the 80/20 rule”, it means that 20% of your time will produce 80% of your results. So what we need to do is to identify the 20% and then do the 20%. To identify what are the most important things and then to spend time doing those 20% because they will bring the greatest results in our lives.

Also, we need to focus on key results areas.

For example, if I have 10 things to do every day I grade them on a scale of one to 10. That’s how I can figure out what are the most important two things that will give me the majority of my results. Once I figure this out I decide to spent 80% of my effort on these two things and the rest 20% on the remaining eight things to do. This means that even if I don’t manage to complete most of the things I wanted to do I will at least get the important things out of the way.

We need to understand what our priorities are but also the things that we should not do. We have to delegate them to other people so we can do what we do best. We need to be able to think long term. Because there is never enough time to do everything but there is always enough time to do what matters most.

Even if you are not a big fan of mathematics and you try to avoid complex numbers as much as you can in your life, I can assure you that this concept is very simple.

Just give it a try and tell me how was it.

🙂

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *